Learn To Play Hockey
Why Choose Sherwood Learn To Play Hockey Program?
The mission of the Sherwood Ice Arena Learn To Play Hockey Program is to provide an instructional experience that allows each student to improve his/her skills, knowledge of the game, and self-confidence through a positive learning experience.
Requirements for LTPH:
-Full hockey gear is required. Full gear includes a helmet with full-face shield, elbow pads, hockey pants, shin pads, skates, gloves, hockey socks, and a stick.
– All Students must have completed Basic I and Intro to Hockey Skating, have the skating equivalent proven in a private lesson from one of our SIA hockey coaches, OR have a signed permission slip from SIA Head Hockey Coach, Taylor Peters, in order to be allowed into LTPH classes.
Our Philosophy is simple:
The journey to becoming a great hockey player is a long one. The Sherwood Ice Arena Learn to Play Hockey Program is dedicated to making that first leg of your journey as fun and enjoyable as possible.
By learning and developing the appropriate fundamental skills, every player will gain the confidence to compete and enjoy the game, no matter your age or skill level.
Classes are on Friday evenings from 5:15- 6:15.
Cost for LTPH and Game Time:
The cost is $15 per class. You must register for the whole semester. Students joining part way through a semester will be prorated. $15 for USFS registration per year is required to participate in the Learn To Play Hockey Program. Sorry, no drop ins allowed as you must be registered for this class. Class limited to 55 skaters maximum. *see note below
The LTPH Game Time will be offered as an additional session only available to LTPH registrants. No drop ins will be allowed. Our desire and goal is to provide top notch hockey skills instruction once a week on Friday evenings and learn and have fun putting those skills to the test in Game Time play on Sunday mornings at 11:15 am. Full gear required including full face mask. Please note that when you commit to Game Time, you commit to the whole/rest of the semester.
- The time for Game Time will be from 11:15am-12:45pm on Sundays.
- Sunday’s Game Time will be a controlled scrimmage with youth 12 (ages 13-18 see *note below) and under of similar skill sets. Designed to teach the rules of the game (offside, icing, positional play, team play, penalties, warm up, etc). Each on-ice session will begin with an overview of the basic rules of the game followed by a scrimmage controlled by an on-ice SIA hockey coach.
If you miss a LTPH Friday or Sunday class (hey, it happens!), make-ups are on any Stick Time. Just present your LTPH check in card and let the front desk know you’re there for a make-up. SIA will not issue any refunds or credits for missed classes. We’re sorry, but there is no make-up for goalies since they already receive free Stick Times. Thank you!
• Forward Stride.
• Forward/Backward Crossovers (L & R).
• Everything above with a puck.
- Due to the nature of the program designed for those learning the fundamentals to play the game of hockey any returning Jr. Hawks player must be evaluated and provided a signed permission slip from SIA Head Hockey Coach, Taylor Peters, in order to be allowed into LTPH classes.
- Interested players aged 13-18 must have a signed permission slip from SIA Head Hockey Coach, Taylor Peters, at a LPTH Practice or private lesson before attending Sunday Game Time.
Questions? Email our Skate School director Alyssa Orchard at email@example.com.
Sponsored by Sherwood Auto Repair